Not much else to get into here in the introduction, so click through the jump for my game opinion and of course, fantasy advice...
Carolina Panthers 17 at Atlanta Falcons 31
- This was the first week that Cam Newton's stat line looked the way I expected it to at the beginning of the year. I wasn't confidant in him at all, and he finally had a big dud game. He was efficient moving the ball in the running game, but threw three interceptions on the day, including two in the red zone. I think he is going to have more games like this the rest of the season than the games he had early in the season, as this is an Atlanta defense that hadn't been very good early in the season.
- The Falcons actually managed to score 31 points in a game that doesn't really improve my opinion of them. The Panthers rush defense has been awful early this season, and the Falcons only had real success running the ball on Sunday. Matt Ryan was just 14/22 for just 163 yards and that's not good enough against a horrible team like Carolina. Ryan needs to show some improvement before the end of the season if they are going to make any noise in January.
- I don't have an answer for anyone wondering what to do with the Carolina running backs. I avoided them in the draft and ranked them low enough for you to do the same, but I'm sure there are some of you out there who own one or both of them, and my only advice is to try and get rid of them. Use whatever name value they have to put them in a trade with someone else to get an upgrade somewhere on your team. I'm not confidant in starting either of them in any week, so they should get moved from your roster.
- Roddy White had a bad day, but it's actually time to buy low on him. He drew two pass interference penalties in the end zone this week, which would have made it closer to a 20 point week instead of a 2 point week. If you own him, just hang in there and keep starting him. He's going to turn it around soon.
- If Julio Jones misses another week, it's clear that Harry Douglas is a passable option for you as a flex play. Even on a day Matt Ryan had just 163 yards, Douglas managed a pair of big receptions for 59 yards and could easily haul in a touchdown in their next game against the Lions.
As always, feedback is desired and appreciated. You can leave comments here or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org