San Francisco 49ers 25 at Detroit Lions 19
- There has been plenty of talk about the post-game coach fracas, but I'm just going to post the link to the excellent defense of Jim Schwartz on Grantland from Rembert Browne, and move on to talk about the game.
- I was surprised that the 49ers were able to win this game, but they did an amazing job on the defensive side of the football. They held the Detroit running game to just 66 yards on the day. Once you shut down the run like that, it becomes much easier to play the pass, and they managed to hold Matthew Stafford under 300 yards on the day and the Detroit offense as a whole to just 19 points. I think that was more of a sign of how good the San Francisco defense was than it was a sign of anything bad about the Detroit offense.
- Jahvid Best is frustrating to own, but assuming he doesn't miss much time with this concussion, I'm still playing him next week against the Falcons. The San Fran front seven has been amazing through six games. This game was just another game in the mounting evidence that you should avoid playing your running backs against the 49ers.
- Frank Gore has really gotten into a groove over the last few weeks, and it's clear that Jim Harbaugh is committed to running the ball and using play action passes with his mismatches at receiver, so Gore is going to be getting plenty of work week in and week out.
- Brandon Pettigrew had another solid fantasy game as he picked up eight catches and another touchdown on Sunday. He's clearly getting plenty of looks from Matthew Stafford and might be the second option to Calvin Johnson in that offense.
As always, any feedback is appreciated, either here in the comment section or via email at email@example.com.
-Fred "Big Derf" Tobin